- The end is near…allegedly.
- Jesus loves you…allegedly.
- The end is near?
- Can we really know when the end of the world is? Get the basics and find out.
- Is there reason for hope? Get the basics and find out.
- (REM, “It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.”)
- Dragons, Demons and Satan…oh my!
- The beginning of the end.
- (Some dude wearing a sandwich board with “End Is Nigh”.) This time it’s true.
- Some Thomas Kinkade like graphic with, “This is not the end of the world.” Then something dark and have “This is.”
- (Reference movies like Terminator 2, Tombstone, Ghostbusters, and others.)
- Spoiler alert! This world will end.
- Get ready for your brand.
- You don’t want implants that bad.
- Find out more about whores.
- It’s more than clouds and harps.
- See you in Hell? Hope not.
- Go to church for Hell.
- Kids, we’re talking about HELL.
- We’re talking about H-E-double hockey stick.
- Ready to burn? You’ll be wishing for sixth degree burns.
- There is no relief.
The tag line I came up with that seemed to resonate with people was, “666? It’s just a number.” The idea behind this was having seen some people freak out whenever they encounter numbers that even remotely connect back to 666. When I was younger, early teen years, I remember going to Flakey Jake’s (now a Fuddrucker’s) to hang out with an individual. I ordered my food, and the cost came out to be $6.66. The person I was with flipped out and said I needed to get something else so my order wouldn’t be $6.66. I wasn’t a bit confused by their response, but I was more of a people pleaser at the time. I ordered a cookie so my order wouldn’t be $6.66.*
*Since then, I’ve thought it would be genius of some fast food joint to make a combination of their items to total $6.66 after tax. There’d be lots of people that would order more once they realized their order was $6.66.
Because of people’s responses to 666, or anything reminiscent of it, I’ve been amused by the number. That’s how I came up with “666? It’s just a number.”
The Communications Team did some great work on their part, as well as Brandon Beed. We contract some work out to Brandon, and he did a fabulous job coming up with the brand for the series.
Here’s the ad on a billboard.
We knew the line would get people’s attention when they saw it. It would pique people’s interest. There was some question, though, with using “666” and if it was wise. I was asked to do some test marketing on Facebook with it, along with some other tag lines I had written.* “666? It’s just a number.” received almost two to four times the amount of clicks over the other ideas. We stuck with it.
*Someone emailed in during the marketing test and accused us of using scare tactics to get money out of people. When people clicked on the add, all it did was redirect them to our website. There was nothing about money at all. Some just always assume that with the church. The individual closed out the email by saying “As*****”.
On some other promotional pieces we used, “The end is near…allegedly.”
I was also asked to put together a montage video of some clips I’d come across. I’d found a video about people buying bunkers, in the buzz of the (failed) Harold Camping prediction and aftermath of disasters. I’d also come across a video promoting pet care for you after you’ve been raptured. Yes, you read that correctly.
This was one of those videos I wish I had more time to really have some fun with it. However, the summer has been a crazy busy time as I’ve stepped into the role of the Online Campus Pastor. I nixed the ideas of including some of the old rapture videos that students were shown in youth group. I didn’t have time to comb through the footage for clips I wanted. So, I kept it simple and mainly used footage from the bunker and pet care companies.
Here’s the finished product.
Of course, the finished video wasn’t the first run at it. The first cut was a bit more absurd and playful with the concept. The running time was longer. It was probably more amusing to us staff.
The series starts this Sunday at the Old Mill Campus. Because of my new role, I’ve been sitting on Message Team meetings. The meetings where we have gone over this series have been a lot of fun. I think people will like Future Shock.