Last year, I wrote about ten things I was looking forward to in 2010. Most of them turned out to be great.*
*Okay, so it’s February 5 when I finally posted this and ! The only change with the late posting of this is maybe Greg Mortenson would have been on the list if it would have gone up at the beginning of the year.
1. Boy #3 – Sometime in March, Jana and I will have another baby. We’re excited. Liam and Duncan are ready for their baby brother to be here as well. The name is picked out. All sorts of new adventures, blessings, and moments of wonder await our family.
2. Work – I continue with the mix of creative duties alongside pastoral duties. There are some new projects and responsibilities on the horizon that I’m excited about. Some projects that merge creative and pastoral into one. I’m being vague now, but I won’t be for long.
3. Big Omaha – I’ve only written twenty-seven posts, over the past two years, that I’ve tagged “Big Omaha”. I have no inkling on who will be speaking at this year’s gathering, but in a way it’s not primary. So much of the event is about the people that attend, the creative and entrepreneurial spirit, highlighting Omaha and the midwest, the conversations and the fun. Will the speakers be good? Of course, but that’s only one aspect of it.
4. Book – I’ve written thousands upon thousands of words since high school. When I was a part of a theater company, it was joked that I was always found hunched over a composition book writing away. I’ve had ideas about potential books, but when I’ve developed them a bit they’ve never seemed solid. Well, I think I have a good idea. I’m developing it. I’ve written a lot of it. Just a matter of compiling and editing it. Some of the influences are Dan Allender and Chuck Klosterman.
5. Minimalism – This is a concept/lifestyle I adopted last year unintentinoally, but look forward to living out intentionally during 2011.
6. Networking – The past two years I’ve enjoyed connecting with new people at local events (Big Omaha, tweetups, young professional get togethers) or online (my blog, Twitter and Facebook). I’ve learned a lot, made new friends, and my life and work has been better for it. I look forward to connecting with more people in 2011, and seeing the new friendships and ideas I encounter.
8. Cars 2 – Last year it was Toy Story 3 and Liam’s first trip to the movie theater. This year it’s Cars 2 and Duncan’s first trip to the movie theater. The boys play with Cars toys, listen to songs from Cars, and ask to watch Cars once a week. I’m excited for them to see it in theater. Another reason I’m interested in seeing it is due to Josh Cooley having worked on the film. I had the chance to interview Josh last year and write about his appearance in Omaha.
9. iPhone – Another year, another list, another Apple product. The iPhone comes to Verizon. This commercial captures the moment quite well.